Saturday, February 24, 2007

Perhaps They're Looking In The Wrong Place

An article in Sunday's Times suggests that the evangelical right is less than pleased with the Republican candidates stepping forward to represent them. As this seems to be the case every election cycle, perhaps there is some deeper reason for their frustration: cognitive dissonance.

Jesus Christ on:

Social Welfare: "I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me." "...as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me."

The War On Terror: "I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which spitefully use you, and persecute you."

The Death Penalty: "Thou shalt not kill."

Justice: "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to cast a stone at her." "But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."

Faith: "And when thou pray, thou shall not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou pray, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home